Skip to main content

Why I want to work for companies like Lessonly

There was never any question in my mind when I started on this coding journey why I was getting into this industry.  I had seen models of great company culture, life/work balance, enthusiastic teams and engaging ever evolving work through so many friends' companies as well as job postings I knew where I belonged.  

I have worked on and off for years in both great and terrible work environments.  In the end I've learned that the people are the single biggest factor in what makes a job worth giving up so much of your personal time.  Money sure, that's great, but in the end at a certain career level you have enough money to be fine, beyond that it's all just frosting.  When the money is no longer such a big reason as to why you go to work every day what is left?  The team you work with, the folks you connect with in other departments, the relationships you forge in those journeys with folks who quite frankly you spend more waking hours with than most do with their own families.  And finally the challenge and growth that you continue to find in a good company!

Even though the reality of finding a job is much harder with junior skills it's refreshing to know there ARE companies in our world who know they can teach you whatever you need to know.  Meaning, they value life experience, the soft skills of what it really takes to be a productive contributing team member and rock star coder!  You hear this at every meetup and talk about how this is a priority in the industry, yet interview after interview it's focused on tech skills and old school standards.

Lessonly is just one example I've found in my search of a company who is thinking about the future and present of tech differently.  Through SO many of their blogs and articles written about them you can see that something is refreshingly different here.  Especially for a company that has grown so fast, in a timeline that most places would lose that company culture and true vision they have embraced it even more!

As a new junior dev I am actually most afraid of being placed in a position with little to no support.  I understand that I still have a lot of learning to do and that this takes time and investment from a company standpoint.  A lot of places talk big game about their plan for you as a junior but most places don't have a formal system in place to make sure you have all the tools you need to succeed.  This isn't just success for you, the company wins too if they can tap into your potential.  Lessonly not only does this for other companies but also for themselves!  Not just for your first week, or month but continuing!  Great example right  here in "How We Do Employee Onboarding".  It's like a dream come true support track to becoming an awesome developer for an awesome company.

I hope I can be so lucky to find a company like Lessonly out there and my bigger dream is that other companies take notice of the awesome work they are doing to bring in new talent, support them and continue to grow their own product and company culture alongside that journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Sleeping and Storage Platform for 2 Door 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

UPDATE:  https://lifenewandimproved.blogspot.com/2020/06/diy-sleeping-and-storage-platform-for-2.html  final wood measurements added over here!  Read more below for actual construction tips and tricks. I searched and searched for a system for a two door Jeep Wrangler JL that wasn't just a small rear storage system but also contained the entire rear of the vehicle and also extended to sleep on diagonally.  I'll admit it may have been a big ask... so I went about making one myself. I started with measurements and a general idea of what I wanted to achieve.  Knowing damn well I'd have to make adjustments and would make discoveries that limit the plan as I went along.  I had hoped initially to make it out of two or three large pieces and a hatch.  The goal was to hide all seems and the hatch hinge for security purposes but even with the seams it turned out pretty beefy and difficult to break into.  As with any car thing if someone REALLY wants in I'm sure they

DIY Sleeping and Storage Platform for 2 Door 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATE

The response to the 2 Door Jeep Wrangler JL Sleep and Storage platform build has been incredible, thank you all for your support and love in my adventure in 2 door Jeep love and life. I have an updated plan for ya'll!  Getting the main pieces fitted is what took the majority of my time, so I disassembled all of it and took the old upholstery off in order to get what the final measurements were that I used so it might be easier for anyone else to create! With these plans, you should be able to cut all the main parts and then piece the rest of the job together quite easily and customize to however you like. As I discussed in the original video and post, the upholstery I worked with the first time around was VERY difficult to so I replaced it this winter with a lighter marine carpet, less waterproof but more pliable, and used construction adhesive under it to keep it all tight and in place.  I went with a more speckled and lighter color to hide the dust you get driving around

Poly in a Heteronormative World

het·er·o·nor·ma·tive /ˌhedərōˈnôrmədiv/ adjective: denoting or relating to a world view that promotes heterosexuality as the normal or preferred sexual orientation. Beyond just sexual orientation this extends into gay relationship models of what relationships should look like. Partnering intentionally is a privilege that has only fully formed in the last few generations. So how did we get it stuck in our heads so fast that they could only be this one way? Oh right, Hollywood and media... the fairytale. Being gay used to mean something special.  There were no social rules on what our relationships had to look like because we were already taboo!  But in the fight for equality, we lost a part of that identity, we forgot that we are  different and that this is ok.  Not only ok but powerful in forging our own way.  And on that journey, we forgot about our diverse family of trans, gender fluid, all the letters of the alphabet, and people of color who have fought alongside us.  Once a